How to Zest a Lemon (Step by Step), by the end of this post, you will know how to do it.
How to zest a lemon Overview
Some of you may know that the rind of a lemon can be used to add flavor to any recipe that often uses it as an ingredient.
In order to do that, here are the steps on how to zest a lemon and what tools are needed for the job.
Materials or products for the job-The first thing one needs to zest a lemon is to know which tools are needed, these include:
- Lemon zester- This tool looks like a small rake, which is perfect for removing the zest off the lemon or even oranges for that matter.
- Lemon peeler-This tool looks like a weird metal rod but has many rough edges on its side which you rub against the surface to remove the zest.
- Vegetable peeler- If you don’t have the two tools above, a vegetable peeler can also work just fine, just be careful with your fingers.
How to do this job
- The first thing you need is a lemon, lime, orange, mandarin, or grapefruit to zest as well as any of the tools above. Make sure to wash clean the surface of these fruits as you will be using the zest as one of your ingredients. Warm and soapy water is preferable to remove anything that is on the lemon’s surface, whether it be dirt or bacteria that may cause harm to the human body.
- The next thing you must do is to wash the peeler you are using to also decontaminate them. It is important to clean a utensil before using it to cut a different type of food. If you don’t you risk contamination in the lemon and it could also add harmful bacteria to your food.
- To zest the fruit, you must grab the lemon and begin to peel its surface. You must remember to only remove the colored surface of the lemon as the inner white pith that is under the peel will make anything you are cooking bitter in taste. You must also make sure to have something under the lemon so the zest flakes can fall off without them being contaminated.
- To store the zest and the lemon for further use, you must use a plastic bag to cover each of them. Afterward, you must store them in the freezer in order to keep them fresh for further use. When using the zest, let it sit for a few minutes in order for it to thaw and avoid having a meal that tastes funny.
The zest of a lemon can be used for many purposes, you can create a tea with the flakes and also can be used in baked goods.
These include Lemon cookies and cakes, both of which are delicious deserts for eating after a meal.
You can also use the zest to brighten up steamed broccoli and a steak or you can even add small pieces to salt to give it a lime flavor,
The possibilities are endless and they can also make a difference when cooking a nice dinner.