Hand Sanitizer Overview
A hand sanitizer is the best option to reduce the extent of viruses and germs in case you don’t have access to water and soap.
This can help you to protect from infectious diseases.
The spread of the novel Corona Virus has led to the high demand for hand sanitizers that retailers can no longer keep up with. Best Amazon Deals
On the other hand, I have some great news.
Below are ways on how to make hand sanitizer in the comfort of your home.
The formulas below on how to make hand sanitizer is as directed by sources from the WHO (World Health Organisation)
Formula One: Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
Ingredients and Products Needed
- One part Aloe Vera gel or glycerine
- Two parts isopropyl or ethanol alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume)
- Ten drops of essential oil (lavender oil or tea tree oil ) or use lemon juice
- Storage bottle
Note: Use Aloe Vera gel and isopropyl or ethanol alcohol in the ratio 1:2 to get an effective result by maintaining the alcohol at 60 percent.
Procedure on How to Make Hand Sanitizer
- Place one part of aloe Vera or glycerine in a bowl. Mix with two parts of isopropyl or ethanol alcohol with a spoon. Glycerine prevents alcohol from drying out from the skin.
- Add ten drops of essential oil to reduce the smell of alcohol.
- Whip the ingredients with a whisk to make a gel-like mixture.
- Funnel the mixture into an empty bottle using a funnel then label it “hand sanitizer.”
Some people don’t like using alcohol in hand sanitizers due to the smell and may use witch-hazel based sanitizer as an alternative. The ingredients below can be used instead of alcohol.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons witch hazel
- 30 drops tea tree oil
Formula Two: Hand Sanitizers Produced In a Larger Set
Products and materials needed
- Iso-propyl alcohol or ethanol
- hydrogen peroxide
- sterile distilled or boiled cold water
- Spray bottle
- Mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, one fluid ounce of boiled (then cooled) or distilled water, and two parts of isopropyl alcohol or ethanol. This should maintain the alcohol concentration at 60 percent.
- Add eight drops of glycerol and thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle. The spray can be used as a wipe.
In addition to washing hands, the above two methods will ensure your health safety.
With this information, you can make a hand sanitizer that kills germs and viruses and avoid the risk of infections.
Hand sanitizers disruption
The world is facing a huge crisis because of the infamous virus that has killed more than 35.000 people worldwide, and that is still spreading very fast.
Hand sanitizers have rapidly become one of the most wanted products and are now massively produced all around the world.
1. What is a hand sanitizer?
A hand sanitizer is a gel or a liquid that is used in order to protect oneself from infections. It is composed of active ingredients called antimicrobials.
2. Why are people obsessed about it today?
There are a few reasons why this product faces such a demand:
• Because of the coronavirus, which is a highly infectious disease, people want to take their precautions, they do not want to be sick and figured that using hand sanitizer is the best way to protect themselves.
• Authorities encourage the use of hand sanitizer so that the disease does not spread as fast.
• Because the virus is so infectious, and because there has not been a global situation like this one for more than a century, people are scared and try their best to survive.
3. Hand sanitizer disruption
There has been a high demand for the sanitizers in a very short amount of time, and the firms that produce it were not used to such a high mass and rapid production.
People were therefore limited when buying these, and many started figuring out how to protect themselves without buying hand sanitizer directly.
4. Making hand sanitizer at home
Many people have found formulas to create their own hand sanitizer using aloe vera and alcohol.
These homemade recipes went viral, and many others started making their hand sanitizer at home, which left more firm produced sanitizers for the hospitals.
5. Why should hospitals have access to the most part of hand sanitizers?
In hospitals, there is a huge lack of medical material. There is a lack of masks, a lack of beds, a lack of hand sanitizer.
Because doctors are the ones making the situation better for the world in this crisis period, they are the ones that should have access to these materials.
Therefore, in order to help the world, people should stop buying hand sanitizers and wash their hands with soap or homemade sanitizer.
How to Make Hand Sanitizer With Aloe Vera
Given the coronavirus pandemic, hand sanitizer is in high demand; now is the time to make our own. With this simple homemade recipe of homemade hand sanitizer you’ll keep your hands safe from germs while providing soothing relief for dry skin.
Most DIY hand sanitizer recipes combine isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and aloe vera gel as ingredients in DIY hand sanitizer recipes, with isopropyl acting as disinfectant while aloe provides soothing properties. Glycerol may help prevent dry hands while WHO suggests other emollients might also work just as effectively if desired.
Before beginning mixing, ensure all equipment and containers are sterilized. Next, mix 3 parts isopropyl alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel in a small bowl and add several drops of essential oil such as tea tree or rosemary oil for extra antimicrobial properties and scent. Using a sterilized funnel, transfer this solution directly into a spray bottle or squeeze bottle for easy application.
Alternative: Transfer the mixture to a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator until ready for use. Note that using aloe vera from an actual plant instead of pre-made gel requires more isopropyl alcohol to dissolve, so in such instances increase or alter your ratio accordingly.
How to Make Hand Sanitizer Without Aloe Vera Gel
As is well-known, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends hand washing as the most effective means of fighting off germs; however, in situations when neither soap nor water are readily available or are simply inconvenient to use, hand sanitizer can also be an effective option to combat them. According to CDC recommendations, alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content will provide optimal results in killing off bacteria effectively.
Most hand sanitizer recipes call for aloe vera gel, but you can easily create your own natural version that’s just as effective with no aloe needed. This DIY natural recipe uses isopropyl alcohol (found at most drugstores and local stores), vegetable glycerin to keep harsh alcohol from drying out your hands and essential oil (tea tree oil being our top recommendation due to its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties) instead.
Mix the glycerin, essential oil, and rubbing alcohol in a mixing bowl until everything has combined into an even and smooth paste. Whisk until fully blended. You may wish to add several drops of essential oil as an odor neutralizer; lavender- or citrus-scented oils work especially well, though any fragrance you desire is welcome!
If you can’t locate rubbing alcohol at your local drugstore, another solution might be perfume with an extremely high alcohol concentration. Perfumes are made by mixing fragrant oils in a solvent; most perfumes contain at least 50% alcohol. You could also search for herbal tinctures made by soaking medicinal plants in alcohol; these may contain even higher concentrations than perfumes but they will likely cost more. Best Amazon Deals